Thursday, May 1, 2008

Randomness...

One thing that continues to amaze me as I walk around the streets is that there are shit-loads of chickens in this country. Everybody has a chicken (or ten). At least I think everyone has a chicken. They can be found rummaging through every garbage heap and random grass lot from here to Christmas, everywhere but in people's yards. I assume that people can identify their chickens quite easily like,“Mine is the dirty white one missing half her feathers, yours is the slightly less dirty white one missing half of her feathers.” I guess when they are ready for some kuku na ugali (chicken and a white, corn paste-like food that Tanzanians LOVE) they run out to the road/garbage heap and grab their chicken. Trust me, grain fed chicken has nothing on the garbage fed variety.

Less in number than the chickens, but similar in overall biomass, are the goats. You find them grazing everywhere, roaming (apparently ownerless) through the weeds and vacant lots. They stroll along, leisurely chewing on anything at head level or below. I have to be honest...I really, really want a goat. If we ever get a yard, the deal will go down, regardless of what of Robyn says. In fact, I think I’ll name the goat after her. Cool!

I'll be writing a blog about my new job and moving up to Bagamoyo soon. Also Robyn is visiting Lake Victoria (Mwanza) right now, and I'll be heading up to Arusha/Moshi to spend a week up there. It is close to Mt. Meru, Mt. Kilimanjaro, and the Serengeti. We will focus on the mountains for now and hopefully have some good pictures. Later.

4 comments:

Cris said...

HAVE A GREAT TIME guys :)
Hugs, Cris.

Heather said...

Hey Guys, Enjoy the wilderness! You could use some nature right now...Just hope you never saw "Ghost in the Darkness"...
Brandt, I look forward to feeding your goat an old shoe someday.
Robyn, enjoy your last few months of 29.Love you!
HK

Unknown said...

For the sake of me, please name your goat Honduras. Although I can understand why you'd want to have two Robyn's around.

Unknown said...

please tell me that you've since obtained a goat named Robyn! i especially enjoyed the first paragraph...i read it out loud (whilst cracking up) and Ed and i don't understand why Brandt can't differentiate between chickens.