Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Brandt's Initial Thoughts

While both Robyn and I have been enjoying the rollercoaster ride that is life in Dar es Salaam, Robyn thus far has been our scribe, our Ozymandias. Well, it is finally time for me to write down some observations and thoughts about this crazy time. First off, my perspective going into and throughout these first few weeks, is quite different from Robyn’s. Why? Simply, it is our backgrounds. Robyn spent a year in Cochabamba, Bolivia when she was 17 and did a semester in Venezuela when she was in college. She had, through those experiences, a real idea of what it was like to live in a culture that is totally different from your own. She knew what it felt like when everyone around you spoke a language (and at a pace) that you can barely understand. She understood about the pace of life; that it could be hectic, frustrating, simple, and laidback, and on many occasions, all four at the same time. I, however, knew nothing, except that eating fish in an alley “restaurant” in Hong Kong leaves you with…ummm...intestinal distress.

So, Robyn was kind of ready for this. I thought I was ready for this. I knew it would be “Hard” and “Challenging”. But knowing that something is going to be “Hard” and “Challenging” and actually living “Hard” and “Challenging” are two separate beasts. One sounds adventurous, the other kind of sucks.

However, I am still alive and kicking. Here is a short list of things I never thought I would be doing at 37 years of age (or ever):

speaking a bit of Swahili (Mwanamume amevaa shati mmoja meusi. The man is wearing one black shirt.),

riding the daladalas all over the city,

learning to live without a refrigerator,

drinking Tanzanian beer on the Indian Ocean, and

living in a house with one million ants, 2 cockroaches (the size of mini-snicker’s bars), a feral cat who occupies the space above our bedroom, and our greatest enemy--the harbingers of ill things--the mosquitos.

At twenty one days in and counting, I find myself settling in and realizing that it is tough, but doable. I am forced to be patient, which according to Robyn (and to the absolute lack of shock to those who know me well) is just one of the many reasons why this will be a great experience for me. Well, so far it has been an experience all right--I am still waiting for the great part though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brandt
Better you than me but I'd guess that the first 21 days will be a part of that "great" part. Experience says that the judgement of good vs bad is best made from a distance, in this case distance of time.

pops

Cris said...

Hang in there Brant =O)
It will get better. We miss you greatly, and the BSL-3 is going strong. I am setting up computers today, and our final papers were sent to the CDC last week.
Training in Atlanta ROCKED, and I have never had so much fun in my life. I learned a lot and feel a lot more comfortable with the whole thing now.
I need an address for you guys, since your present never made its way to you while you were still here in the US. I can also send goodies, so tell me what you guys would like...it might help make things a little easier. Maybe some Snickers the size of your roaches...lol
Miss you, and hope you guys are well. Big hug, Cris.

MOM said...

Brandt, when your last 21 days there arrive you will probably not want to come home and the trials and tribulations of the 1st 21 days will be but a little bit of memory.
I can remember from Robyn's travels to Cochabamba and the first time after a month of her being gone we called her and she was very sad and homesick. Fast forward to a year later as she is getting ready to come home and doesn't she decided to stay longer.
It is amazing what we can learn about ourself when we are put into a situation that is very unfamiliar to you and takes you out of your "comfort" zone.
I'm glad the 2 of you are there together! xoxo's from NY. Donna

J said...

I swear to God, if Tanzania makes you a more patient person I will come over there and kick Tanzania's ass. Don't change--like Billy Joel said, I love you just the way you are.

But seriously, it sounds like you're getting used to the new way of life--and that's very cool. It's also comforting to know you're able to identify black-shirted men. Even if they only have one of them.

"Man crush" J